Have you noticed Windows 10 freezing at startup and not responding to clicks after a recent Windows 10 update? And the task manager is looking for a process called ntoskrnl.exe that is using almost 99% or 100% of CPU or system resources. Here in this post we will discuss what is ntoskrnl.exe file? Why it causes huge system resources and some solutions to fix Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU Usage in Windows 10 version 20H2. Let’s get started:
- What is ntoskrnl.exe?
- Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU load
- Check for incompatible programs
- Disable startup programs
- Configuring your Windows 10 for better performance
- Driver update
- Start the DISM utility and the SFC
- Customizing the Windows Registry Editor
- frequently asked questions
What is ntoskrnl.exe?
Ntoskrnl.exe (the kernel of the Windows NT operating system) is a fundamental part of the system or a fundamental component of the operating system that supports a number of important services, such as process management, memory management, and hardware virtualization. In addition, this executable contains a memory manager, a cache manager, an executive director, a security reference monitor, a kernel, and furthermore a task scheduler.
Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU load
There are several reasons why Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU may be present, such as. B. Update error, virus infection, incompatible and outdated device or application drivers, corrupted system files Any Windows service crashing in the background, etc. Whatever the cause, here are some solutions you can apply to solve Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU Usage in Windows 10.
First, install a proper antivirus program with latest updates and perform a full system scan to make sure that a virus or malware infection is not causing Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU in Windows 10.
Also run free system optimizers like Ccleaner to remove system junk, cache, memory dump, temporary files, etc. that help to improve system performance.
Disabling the Runtime Broker :
- Open the Settings application and go to System.
- Internal system window, search for notifications and actions
- Clear the Show Windows Tips check box.
Disable Sysmain (formerly known as Superfetch):
- Press windows key + R, enter services.msc and ok.
- Here you can find the Superfetch service
- Right-click on Superfetch and select Properties.
- Set the startup type to Off.
- And press the Stop button to stop the service.
- Finally, click Apply and OK to save your changes.
- The same applies to the Background Intelligent Transmission Service (BITS).
Now reboot the PC to bring it back to normal and fix the high CPU load.
Check for incompatible programs
Some users say this only happens when they use certain programs. Especially if they have antivirus software running in the background. Antivirus software may have conflicts with some programs. The next time you are faced with this situation, try to be extra vigilant to see if you can find a program that is interfering with your system. If such a program is found, try reinstalling it or uninstalling it completely.
Disable startup programs
Again, disabling unnecessary startup programs is a very useful solution to the problem of high system resource usage (ntoskrnl.exe High CPU Usage) in Windows 10.
- To disable startup programs, open Task Manager.
- Then click on the Run tab.
- you will see a list of programs that are started at startup.
- Right-click on the applications you do not want to run at startup and select Disable.
Configuring your Windows 10 for better performance
- Right click on the computer icon and select Properties.
- Choose Advanced System Settings
- Go to System Properties and select Settings.
- Choose Configure for better performance and Apply.
- Click OK and restart the computer.
Again, incompatible hard drive drivers (especially graphics and network drivers) can be the first indication of high system resource usage or 100% CPU utilization in Windows 10. It is recommended that the :
- Hold down the Windows key, press R., type hdwiz.cpl, and press OK.
- Click on the Driver tab and then click Update Driver.
- Select the Automatic option to search for and install updated drivers from the Internet.
- Restart your computer
Or reinstall the drivers.
Start the DISM utility and the SFC
Moreover, corrupted system files sometimes cause various problems on your Windows computer. Especially after a recent Windows update, if the Windows system files are corrupted, you may get boot errors. High usage of system resources, etc. We recommend that you run the System File Checker utility that will scan and repair a missing corrupted system.
- To do this, open a command prompt as an administrator
- Then type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- This will search for missing system files
- When it detects one, the SFC utility retrieves it from a special folder in %WinDir%System32dllcache.
- After restarting the windows, wait for the process to complete 100%.
If an SFC scan finds damaged system files, but they cannot be restored, run the DISM command, which restores the system image, and let sfc do its work.
Customizing the Windows Registry Editor
Press Windows + R, type regedit and press Enter to open the Windows Registry editor.
- Then start saving the registry and continue with the next key.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSession ManagerMemory Management,
- Look for ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’, double click on it once, then change the data value to 1.
Now go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory ManagementPrefetchParameters. The switchover from pre-sample value 2 or 3 to 0 must be activated here. Now close the registry editor and restart the device. I am sure that Ntoskrnl.exe in windows 10 no longer has a high CPU load.
Did these tips help you fix Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU Usage on Windows 10 version 20h2? Give us your thoughts in the comments below, also read:
frequently asked questions
How to fix ntoskrnl with high Windows 10 memory usage
how to calculate the-high-ram-i-cue-a-sa…
How to repair Ntoskrnl exe in Windows 10?
How do I stop Ntoskrnl EXE?
ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage windows 10ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage fixntoskrnl. high disk usage windows 10ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage when idlentoskrnl. high cpu redditwindows 10 system process high cpu,People also search for,Feedback,ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage windows 10,ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage fix,ntoskrnl. high disk usage windows 10,ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage when idle,ntoskrnl. high cpu reddit,windows 10 system process high cpu,ntoskrnl.exe blue screen windows 10,ntoskrnl.exe high cpu server 2016